Saturday, June 09, 2007

I was cleaning up my apartment the other day when I came upon this old CD that a friend gave me. I popped it into the player and sat back, nostalgia washing over me as I listened to The Smiths, The Cure, and Echo and the Bunnyman. I remember when I had those big waves/fins as bangs and the striped t-shirts and the stirrup pants tucked into little boots. I remember bouncing around in a club to the Go-Gos. I don't remember thinking that we looked ridiculous. It's only now, in retrospect, that I realize how bad the fashion was.

Then, today I went to the mall and saw all these teenagers wearing striped t-shirts, straight-legged jeans, with glowing skin that looked almost radioactive. They looked happy and oblivious. They have no idea what awaits for them. They have no idea how bad they will look to themselves in the future. I envy them that innocence.

No comments: